Re: RFC sdio expander driver thoughts (TXS02612)

On 4 July 2018 at 14:58, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> (just copy part of internal discussion):
>>> My approach would be that the driver registers two new host
>>> controllers, e.g. like mmc1 and mmc2 on the omap5.
>>>
>>> I.e. calls in its probe function
>>>
>>>        mmc[i] = mmc_alloc_host(sizeof(struct omap_hsmmc_host), &pdev->dev);
>>>        mmc[i]->ops = txs02612_ops;
>>>        // other setup
>>>        mmc_add_host(mmc[i]);
>>>
>>> twice for each of the two txs channels. This should create two new
>>> user-space mmc ports that receive requests and other callbacks.
>>>
>>> It then should takes control of the real host controller to sit in
>>> the middle.
>>>
>>> So basically we should do something like:
>>>
>>>        host_mmc = sarch_by_of_handle(...)
>>>
>>> And then make the txs02612_ops like:
>>>
>>>        txs02612_request(mmc, ...) {
>>>                find out which port
>>>                if(different from current)
>>>                        {
>>>                        try to get mutex
>>>                        throw the switch
>>>                        }
>>>                host_mmc->request(host_mmc, ...)
>>>                if(was different)
>>>                        release the mutex
>>>        }
>>>
>>> in this case we don't need to touch mmc core and also bus locking will
>>> be done in driver.
>>> Do you think we can get some success with upstreaming by this approach?
>>
>> No.
>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Did you read this?
>
> Yes, we did study it and understand the concerns. But concerns don't help
> to solve problems.
>
> We have a hardware with this sdio switch chip is connected to some omap5 mmc port
> and multiplexes an internal eMMC and an external µSD slot.
>
> Currently we use a user-space script that ejects the current drive, toggles
> the control gpio and partprobes the other sd device:
>
> http://git.goldelico.com/?p=letux-kernel.git;a=blob;f=Letux/root/txs;h=a40a28c8e8bbae5c04569aced3de48571d00ef92;hb=e7a136a13aba2373b07637680d2998e7ea19c756
>
> This is slow. And is not transparent for user-space software (e.g. file managers).
> And you can't copy data from one device to the other with standard cp commands
> or without temporary storage.
>
> So we would be happy with any improvement over this situation and are not
> immediately looking at perfection. This is why we want to find a kernel driver
> solution for the txa02612 chip.

>> Let me elaborate a bit on the problems.
>>
>> 1. Serialization of requests (several request sent after each other,
>> with delays, changing clocks etc), is managed by the core, because it
>> implements the SD/SDIO/(e)MMC specs. This does not belong in a host
>> driver.
>> -> A kind of mmc bus slot lock is needed in the core. Not a big deal,
>> we can probably hide it below mmc_claim|release_host().
>
> Our goal would be to encapsulate this completely in the txs02612 driver
> so that we do not have to touch the mmc core at all. If that is possible

Sorry, but the core needs to be involved. However, I think adding a
mmc bus lock, somehow, can be done.

>> 2. What if there is an SD card that can cope with high-speed mode in
>> one slot with a clock freq at 50 MHz. Then in the other slot, there is
>> an eMMC using HS200 mode, running at 200 MHz. Can the HW guarantee all
>> kind of different combinations, with clock glitches etc?
>
> We would be happy in a first step if it would work at all. Even with certain
> constraints like same clock freq for everyone so that no clock switching
> is involved. And yes, the txs02612 chip introduces its own speed limits.

This is too hand-wavy. I need to know how you plan to solve this,
because to me, it's really a tricky problem.

Of course, it depends also on how much the HW offers to help.

>> 3. The biggest problem: You can *not* provide any service guarantees
>> in regards to latency or bandwidth for any of the storage media in the
>> slots, because of the bus slot lock. That because the upper layers
>> runs I/O scheduling separately for each storage device, thus request
>> for one slot can starve requests on another.
>
> Yes, we are aware of this limitation. It is not possible to achieve the
> same speed in multiplexed mode as with a dedicated mmc port for each client.
> But I expect the problem is not much different from a hard disk which may
> have significant latency while spinning up the motor.

This is not only about poor performance. It's about things being
entirely unpredictable.

Maybe we can figure something out to release the bus lock in between
every request (that's not what we do today for the host lock), but it
may be messy. You simply will have to post patches for me to look at,
before I can decide what to do with them.

> And we have the same (even worse) with our current eject/partprobe approach
> which also does sort of serialization.
>
> So we just want to know about the hurdles towards upstreaming before
> we have to turn the driver code upside down. And how to setup the driver
> architecture to get it basically working.

Fair enough. I hope my comments have given some answers to you.

Kind regards
Uffe