Re: More TMIO MMC variant. What is a preferred name?

> On 21 November 2017 at 21:01, Wolfram Sang <wsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Ulf,
>>
>> thanks for the feedback!
>>
>>> So what do you think of this?:
>>>
>>> 1) Rename tmio_core.c to tmio.c, and fold in some more information
>>> about the history of the IP in the header of the file. Yeah, "tmio"
>>> may not be the absolutely correct name, but on the other hand it
>>> preserves consistency and I there are no need to rename any functions.
>>> 2) Rename tmio_mmc.h to tmio.h - and move potential tmio_mmc specific
>>> bits to tmio_mmc.c.
>>> 3) Rename renesas_sdhi_core.c to tmio_renesas_sdhi.c. Again, I don't
>>> think we need any functions to be renamed because of this change.
>>> 4) Rename renesas_sdhi.h to tmio_renesas_sdhi.h.
>>
>> I can agree to that. Clarifying 3), I think though, we should have:
>>         tmio_sdhi.c
>>
>> and on top of that:
>>
>>         tmio_sdhi_internal_dmac.c
>>         tmio_sdhi_sys_dmac.c
>>
>> ?
>
> Even better!
>

>>> Following the naming strategy from the above, I the new file name for
>>> new tmio variant should be tmio_uniphier.c.
>>
>> Yes.
>>

> Great!
>
> Br
> Uffe
> --

In my understanding, TMIO is a name of MFD
that includes some built-in peripherals:
drivers/usb/host/ohci-tmio.c
drivers/mtd/nand/tmio_nand.c

If you use "tmio" as a prefix of a group of MMC drivers,
it will look odd.

# core
obj-$(CONFIG_MMC_TMIO)          += tmio.o
# TMIO-builtin
obj-$(CONFIG_MMC_TMIO_MMC)      += tmio_mmc.o
# Renesas SoCs
obj-$(CONFIG_MMC_TMIO_SDHI)     += tmio_sdhi.o
# UniPhier SoCs
obj-$(CONFIG_MMC_TMIO_UNIPHIER) += tmio_uniphier.o

This is funny,
especially the relation between tmio.o and tmio_mmc.o

The "mmc" in the "tmio_mmc.o"
is not a platform name.

This is even confusing.

If we use "tmio_mmc" prefix (like "dw_mmc"),

# core
obj-$(CONFIG_MMC_TMIO)          += tmio_mmc.o
# TMIO-builtin MMC
obj-$(CONFIG_MMC_TMIO_TMIO)     += tmio_mmc_tmio.o
# Reneses
obj-$(CONFIG_MMC_TMIO_SDHI)     += tmio_mmc_sdhi.o
# UniPhier
obj-$(CONFIG_MMC_TMIO_UNIPHIER) += tmio_mmc_uniphier.o

tmio_mmc_tmio.o  is a crazy name, but the syntax is clear.

The first "tmio_mmc"  means the IP name
(since we decide this is the right name)

The second "tmio" is the platform name
the comes from the TMIO MFD.

Thought?

--