RE: pre-defined multiple block read/write vs. open ended multiple block read/write

>>> So, the question is, why the current mmc driver does not use the
>pre-defined multiple block read/write commands? Any comments?
>>>

>> While I really don't know, I would guess becase the SD spec has a
>> different definition of ACMD23 than MMC, so perhaps avoiding
>> ACMD/CMD23 that was chosen as the simpler more common alternative.
>> Alternatively, the difference might imply that at one time it was an
>> optional feature. I'll try digging up an early MMCA spec to confirm...
>
>Ok let me correct myself.
>
>For SD:
>ACMD23 - SET_WR_BLK_ERASE_COUNT might speed to the multiple write
>block, but still need CMD12 after the write.
>CMD23 - optional and mandatory on UHS104 cards. CMD23 support is noted
>in SCR register.

Thanks for the response.
I also checked the SD Spec, seems CMD23 was not supported in SD 2.0, but added in SD 3.0 as an optional command and is mandatory on UHS104 cards.

>> At least one new MMC feature now (reliable writes) requires CMD23, and
>> at the very least using SET_BLOCK_COUNT instead of STOP_TRANSMISSION
>> would make that code path more homogenous. Certainly the overhead is
>> the same for MMC - either send an extra command before or after the
>> transfer.

Agree. Although the open ended mode has better compatibility for MMC/SD card,
it does prevent some new eMMC features from being support,
such as Context Management, Data Tag Mechanism and so on.

So I think it makes sense to have an alternate way to enable the pre-defined multiple block read/write mode.

>> I am actually working on a patch to do just that...
>>
>Which I will send shortly.

Very nice. Glad to hear that.

Thanks.

Regards,