Re: pre-defined multiple block read/write vs. open ended multiple block read/write

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Andrei Warkentin <andreiw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Gao, Yunpeng <yunpeng.gao@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Currently, the mmc driver uses open ended multiple block read/write (CMD18/25+CMD12) commands and not use pre-defined multiple block read/write (CMD23+CMD18/25) commands.
>>
>> According to the feedback from some MMC/SD device vendors, they prefer the pre-defined multiple block read/write commands since it gives the device a chance to do some internal optimization.
>>
>> Also I found on the latest eMMC 4.5 Spec, quite a few new features requires using of CMD23. That means, these new features can not be implemented with the open ended multiple block read/write commands.
>>
>> So, the question is, why the current mmc driver does not use the pre-defined multiple block read/write commands? Any comments?
>>

> While I really don't know, I would guess becase the SD spec has a
> different definition of ACMD23 than MMC, so perhaps avoiding
> ACMD/CMD23 that was chosen as the simpler more common alternative.
> Alternatively, the difference might imply that at one time it was an
> optional feature. I'll try digging up an early MMCA spec to confirm...

Ok let me correct myself.

For SD:
ACMD23 - SET_WR_BLK_ERASE_COUNT might speed to the multiple write
block, but still need CMD12 after the write.
CMD23 - optional and mandatory on UHS104 cards. CMD23 support is noted
in SCR register.

> At least one new MMC feature now (reliable writes) requires CMD23, and
> at the very least using SET_BLOCK_COUNT instead of STOP_TRANSMISSION
> would make that code path more homogenous. Certainly the overhead is
> the same for MMC - either send an extra command before or after the
> transfer. For SD you do get an extra CMD55 before CMD23, since it's
> ACMD23 we're talking about.
>
> I am actually working on a patch to do just that...

Which I will send shortly.