Re: outstanding tmio patches

Hi Chris

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Chris Ball wrote:

> Hi Guennadi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 23 2011, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > I thought it might help to list all the recent patches in the order they
> > should apply to make it a bit easier...
> >
> > [1/2] mmc: tmio: Improve DMA stability on sh-mobile
>
> Some serious merge conflicts with Linus W's dmaengine cleanup here.

Sorry, I must be missing something. I'm basing my patches on the current
(of yesterday) next tree, which already contains Linus' patches:

mmc: tmio_mmc: use dmaengine helpers, drop submit check
mmc: tmio_mmc: drop dma_sglen state variable
mmc: tmio_mmc: unmap with the proper sglen
mmc: tmio_mmc: map DMA buffers on the DMA engine device

or which his patches do you mean?

Thanks
Guennadi

> > [2/2] mmc: tmio: use PIO for short transfers
> > [1/6,v2] mmc: tmio: split core functionality, DMA and MFD glue
>
> And again here.  These flag-day patches that move around thousands of
> lines of code are extremely difficult to pull off without announcing
> them far ahead of time and getting everyone else to hold off from
> merging code first; you're essentially saying that development is closed
> and everyone else has to wait for your patch to be merged and then
> rebase onto it.
>
> I'm open to suggestions on what to do next -- if you find it easier
> to prepare a git tree with everything applied for me to pull from
> I'd be happy to do that, although I think we should be preparing this
> much churn long before the merge window opens if it's supposed to go
> into mainline for the current cycle; the merge window should be for
> merging linux-next into mainline.
>
> I think my own suggestion, without knowing too much about tmio, would be
> to apply the four patches that provide hardware fixes now, for -rc2:
>
> [1/4,v3] mmc: tmio: only access registers above 0xff, if available
> [2/4,v3] ARM: mach-shmobile: fix SDHI IO address-range
> [3/4,v3] sh: fix SDHI IO address-range
> [4/4,v3] mmc: tmio: remove work-around for unmasked SDIO interrupts
>
> and push the module split and clock gating work out to the start of the
> next merge window.
>
> Let me know what you think, thanks,
>
> - Chris.
> --