Re: outstanding tmio patches

Hi Guennadi,

On Wed, Mar 23 2011, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> I thought it might help to list all the recent patches in the order they
> should apply to make it a bit easier...
>
> [1/2] mmc: tmio: Improve DMA stability on sh-mobile

Some serious merge conflicts with Linus W's dmaengine cleanup here.

> [2/2] mmc: tmio: use PIO for short transfers
> [1/6,v2] mmc: tmio: split core functionality, DMA and MFD glue

And again here.  These flag-day patches that move around thousands of
lines of code are extremely difficult to pull off without announcing
them far ahead of time and getting everyone else to hold off from
merging code first; you're essentially saying that development is closed
and everyone else has to wait for your patch to be merged and then
rebase onto it.

I'm open to suggestions on what to do next -- if you find it easier
to prepare a git tree with everything applied for me to pull from
I'd be happy to do that, although I think we should be preparing this
much churn long before the merge window opens if it's supposed to go
into mainline for the current cycle; the merge window should be for
merging linux-next into mainline.

I think my own suggestion, without knowing too much about tmio, would be
to apply the four patches that provide hardware fixes now, for -rc2:

[1/4,v3] mmc: tmio: only access registers above 0xff, if available
[2/4,v3] ARM: mach-shmobile: fix SDHI IO address-range
[3/4,v3] sh: fix SDHI IO address-range
[4/4,v3] mmc: tmio: remove work-around for unmasked SDIO interrupts

and push the module split and clock gating work out to the start of the
next merge window.

Let me know what you think, thanks,

- Chris.
--