Re: Protection against container fork bombs [WAS: Re: memcg with kmem limit doesn't recover after disk i/o causes limit to be hit]

On Tue 29-04-14 19:09:27, Richard Davies wrote:
> Dwight Engen wrote:
> > Michal Hocko wrote:
> > >
> > > There is a "simple" solution for that. Help us to fix it.

> > > My recollection is that it was primarily Parallels and Google asking
> > > for the kmem accounting. The reason why I didn't fight against
> > > inclusion although the implementation at the time didn't have a
> > > proper slab shrinking implemented was that that would happen later.
> > > Well, that later hasn't happened yet and we are slowly getting there.

> > > But we cannot simply add a new interface that will have to be
> > > maintained for ever just because something else that is supposed to
> > > workaround bugs.

> > > You can use an out-of-tree patchset for the time being or help to get
> > > kmem into shape. If there are principal reasons why kmem cannot be
> > > used then you better articulate them.
> >
> > Is there a plan to separately account/limit stack pages vs kmem in
> > general? Richard would have to verify, but I suspect kmem is not currently
> > viable as a process limiter for him because icache/dcache/stack is all
> > accounted together.
>
> Certainly I would like to be able to limit container fork-bombs without
> limiting the amount of disk IO caching for processes in those containers.
>
> In my testing with of kmem limits, I needed a limit of 256MB or lower to
> catch fork bombs early enough. I would definitely like more than 256MB of
> disk caching.
>
> So if we go the "working kmem" route, I would like to be able to specify a
> limit excluding disk cache.

Page cache (which is what you mean by disk cache probably) is a
userspace accounted memory with the memory cgroup controller. And you
do not have to limit that one. Kmem accounting refers to kernel internal
allocations - slab memory and per process kernel stack. You can see how
much memory is allocated per container by memory.kmem.usage_in_bytes or
have a look at /proc/slabinfo to see what kind of memory kernel
allocates globally and might be accounted for a container as well.

The primary problem with the kmem accounting right now is that such a
memory is not "reclaimed" and so if the kmem limit is reached all the
further kmem allocations fail. The biggest user of the kmem allocations
on many systems is dentry and inode chache which is reclaimable easily.
When this is implemented the kmem limit will be usable to both prevent
forkbombs but also other DOS scenarios when the kernel is pushed to
allocate a huge amount of memory.

HTH

--
Michal Hocko