Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Multi-sized THP performance benchmarks and analysis on ARM64

On 25/06/2024 19:11, Christoph Lameter (Ampere) wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2024, Ryan Roberts wrote:
>
>> But I also want to raise a more general point; We are not done with the
>> optimizations yet. contpte can also improve performance for iTLB, but this
>> requires a change to the page cache to store text in (at least) 64K folios.
>> Typically the iTLB is under a lot of pressure and this can help reduce it. This
>> change is not in mainline yet (and I still need to figure out how to make the
>> patch acceptable), but is worth another ~1.5% for the 4KPS case. I suspect this
>> will also move the needle on the other benchmarks you ran. See [3] - I'd
>> appreciate any thoughts you have on how to get something like this accepted.
>>
>> [3] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20240111154106.3692206-1-ryan.roberts@xxxxxxx/
>
> The discussion here seems to indicate that readahead is already ok for order-2
> (16K mTHP size?). So this is only for 64K mTHP on 4K?

Kind of; for fiflesystems that report support for large folios, readahead starts
with order-2 folio, then increments the folio order by 2 orders for every
subsequent readahead marker that is hit. But text is rarely accessed
sequentially so readahead markers are rarely hit in practice and therefore all
the text folios tend to end up as order-2 (16K for 4K base pages).

But the important bit is that the filesystem needs to support large folios in
the first place, without that, we are always stuck using small (order-0) folios.
XFS and a few other (network) filesystems support large folios today, but ext4
doesn't - that's being worked on though.

> From what I read in the ARM64 manuals it seems that CONT_PTE can only be used
> for 64K mTHP on 4K kernels. The 16K case will not benefit from CONT_PTE nor any
> other intermediate size than 64K.

Yes and no. The contiguous hint, when applied, constitutes a single fixed size
and that size depends on the base page size. Its 64K for 4KPS, 2M for 16KPS and
2M for 64KPS.

However, most modern Arm-designed CPUs support a micro-architectural feature
called Hardware Page Aggregation (HPA), which can aggregate up to 4 pages into a
single TLB in a way that is transparent to SW. So that feature can benefit from
16K folios when using 4K base pages. Although HPA is implemented in the Neoverse
N1 CPU (which is what I believe is in the Ampere Altra), it is disabled and due
to an errata can't be enabled. So HPA is not relevant for Altra.

> Quoting:
>
> https://developer.arm.com/documentation/ddi0406/c/System-Level-Architecture/Virtual-Memory-System-Architecture--VMSA-/Memory-region-attributes/Long-descriptor-format-memory-region-attributes?lang=en#BEIIBEIJ

Note this link is for armv7A, not v8. But hopefully my explanation about answers
everything.

Thanks,
Ryan