Re: [nacked] mm-oom-avoid-printk-iteration-under-rcu.patch removed from -mm tree

On Fri 24-04-20 09:02:30, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 16:06:46 +0200
> Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > If we can agree with not printing dump_tasks() output to consoles, a trivial
> > > patch shown below will solve the problem. Those who cannot run syslog daemon
> > > in userspace might disagree, but this will be the simplest answer.
> >
> > Talk to printk people about this.
>
> Please no!
>
> Usually when the system runs out of memory, I have no access to a shell,
> and the oom output to the console may be the only information I can use to
> debug the situation.

Well, as I've said in other email, what belongs to console is a matter
of userspace policy which should be based on the loglevel [1].  Whether
a concept of a loglevel or some other means to tell that this is a large
bag of output that doesn't have the top priority and printk would do
something clever about that is a question for you (printk maintainers).

[1] http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20200423143550.GH4206@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs