Re: [nacked] mm-oom-avoid-printk-iteration-under-rcu.patch removed from -mm tree

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 1:35 PM Tetsuo Handa
<penguin-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> No! You are completely wrong!! Async printk CANNOT reduce the amount of the
> >> output.
> >
> > Which is exactly what I claim above. Async printk would, however, deal
> > with the problem of the locked context part of the problem because
> > the heavy lifting is not done from the caller context. Please read my
> > response carefully.
>
> No! My proposal (which offloads to a deferrable context) avoids doing the
> heavy lifting (for printk buffer users) from the printk caller context. I'm
> saying that "don't pile up too much backlog onto the printk buffer (by abusing
> async printk) in order to make sure that kernel messages which are more
> important than reporting OOM victim candidates will be processed immediately".
>
> dump_tasks() remains definitely a printk() abuser which is capable of pushing
> many thousands of printk() messages in one second if async printk were available.
> Async printk CANNOT deal with the problem that too much backlog causes important
> messages to be delayed for too long. Please read my explanation carefully.

Agreed. Too much oom reports still be a issue even if the printk() is asyn.
I think the aysnc printk() won't care about wheter the data is
improtant or not, so the user of printk() (even if it is asyn) should
have a good management of these data especially if these data may
consume all or most of the printk buffer.

--
Thanks
Yafang