Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] HMM status upstream user what's next, mmu_notifier

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 09:19:56AM +0800, Liubo(OS Lab) wrote:
> On 2018/1/17 5:30, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> > I want to talk about status of HMM and respective upstream user for
> > it and also talk about what's next in term of features/improvement
> > plan (generic page write protection, mmu_notifier, ...). Most likely
>
> I don't think we should consider to push more code to upstream for a nobody-use feature.
>
> AFAIR, Michal also mentioned that HMM need a real user/driver before upstream.
> But I haven't seen a workable user/driver version.
>
> Looks like HMM is a custom framework for Nvidia, and Nvidia would not like to open source its driver.
> Even if nvidia really use HMM and open sourced its driver, it's probably the only user.
> But the HMM framework touched too much core mm code.

So it is not NVidia only, they are other GPU from different company that
intend to use HMM, i can't comment any further on timeline.

Regarding NVidia hardware i intend to have the patchset to use HMM inside
nouveau ready before summit and post as RFC. Per drm sub-system guideline
we can not upstream it until we also have a functional userspace stack and
we are also working on that.

Cheers,
Jérôme