Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] HMM status upstream user what's next, mmu_notifier

On 2018/1/17 5:30, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> I want to talk about status of HMM and respective upstream user for
> it and also talk about what's next in term of features/improvement
> plan (generic page write protection, mmu_notifier, ...). Most likely

I don't think we should consider to push more code to upstream for a nobody-use feature.

AFAIR, Michal also mentioned that HMM need a real user/driver before upstream.
But I haven't seen a workable user/driver version.

Looks like HMM is a custom framework for Nvidia, and Nvidia would not like to open source its driver.
Even if nvidia really use HMM and open sourced its driver, it's probably the only user.
But the HMM framework touched too much core mm code.

HMM looks suitable for FPGA user case, FPGA and CPU need coherency. ~_~

Cheers,
Liubo