Re: [RFC V2 SLEB 00/14] The Enhanced(hopefully) Slab Allocator

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 09:24:28AM -0500, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> > > You disagree with the history of the allocator?
> >
> > I don't agree with you saying that it "must" be that way. There are
> > other ways to improve things there.
>
> People told me that it "must" be this way. Could not convince them
> otherwise at the time.

So again there was no numbers just handwaving?

> I never wanted it to be that way and have been
> looking for other ways ever since. SLUB is a result of trying something
> different.
>
> > then we can go ahead and throw out SLUB and make incremental
> > improvements from there instead.
>
> I am just amazed at the tosses and turns by you. Didnt you write SLQB on
> the basis of SLUB? And then it was abandoned? If you really believe ths

Sure I hoped it would be able to conclusively beat SLAB, and I'd
thought it might be a good idea. I stopped pushing it because I
realized that incremental improvements to SLAB would likely be a
far better idea.

> and want to get this done then please invest some time in SLAB to get it
> cleaned up. I have some doubt that you are aware of the difficulties that
> you will encounter.

I am working on it. We'll see.