Re: [RFC V2 SLEB 00/14] The Enhanced(hopefully) Slab Allocator

On Wed, 26 May 2010, Nick Piggin wrote:

> > The initial test that showed the improvements was on IA64 (16K page size)
> > and that was the measurement that was accepted for the initial merge. Mel
> > was able to verify those numbers.
>
> And there is nothing to prevent a SLAB type allocator from using higher
> order allocations, except for the fact that it usually wouldn't because
> far more often than not it is a bad idea.

16K is the base page size on IA64. Higher order allocations are a pressing
issue for the kernel given growing memory sizes and we are slowly but
surely making progress with defrag etc.

> > Fundamentally it is still the case that memory sizes are increasing and
> > that management overhead of 4K pages will therefore increasingly become an
> > issue. Support for larger page sizes and huge pages is critical for all
> > kernel components to compete in the future.
>
> Numbers haven't really shown that SLUB is better because of higher order
> allocations. Besides, as I said, higher order allocations can be used
> by others.

Boot with huge page support (slub_min_order=9) and you will see a
performance increase on many loads.

> Also, there were no numbers or test cases, simply handwaving. I don't
> disagree it might be a problem, but the way to solve problems is to
> provide a test case or numbers.

The reason that the alien caches made it into SLAB were performance
numbers that showed that the design "must" be this way. I prefer a clear
maintainable design over some numbers (that invariably show the bias of
the tester for certain loads).

> Given that information, how can you still say that SLUB+more big changes
> is the right way to proceed?

Have you looked at the SLAB code?

Also please stop exaggerating. There are no immediate plans to replace
SLAB. We are exploring a possible solution.

If the SLEB idea pans out and we can replicate SLAB (and SLUB) performance
then we will have to think about replacing SLAB / SLUB at some point. So
far this is just a riggedy thing that barely works where there is some
hope that the SLAB - SLUB conumdrum may be solved by the approach.