Re: [patch -mm] memcg: make oom killer a no-op when no killable task can be found

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> > I'm not going to allow a simple cleanup to jeopardize the entire patchset,
> > so I can write a patch that readds /proc/sys/vm/oom_kill_allocating_task
> > that simply mirrors the setting of /proc/sys/vm/oom_kill_quick and then
> > warn about its deprecation.
>
> Yeah, I welcome it.

Ok, good.

> > I don't believe we need to do the same thing
> > for the removal of /proc/sys/vm/oom_dump_tasks since that functionality is
> > now enabled by default.
> >

> But *warning* is always apprecieated and will not make the whole patches
> too dirty. So, please write one.
>
> BTW, I don't think there is an admin who turns off oom_dump_task..
> So, just keeping interface and putting this one to feature-removal-list
> is okay for me if you want to cleanup sysctl possibly.

Do we really need to keep oom_dump_tasks around since the result of this
patchset is that we've enabled it by default?  It seems to me like users
who now want to disable it (something that nobody is currently doing, it's
the default in Linus' tree) can simply do

	echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/oom_kill_quick

instead to both suppress the tasklist scan for the dump and for the target
selection.