Re: SV: PCTV 292e support

Russel Winder wrote:
On Mon, 2016-01-25 at 00:48 +0000, Andy Furniss wrote:
Russel Winder wrote:
On Sun, 2016-01-24 at 10:07 +0000, Andy Furniss wrote:

It finds all the physical channels, quite happily describes all
the virtual channels in the T1 channels, fails to find anything
in one of the T2 channels and finds unnamed channels in the
other T2 channel. The device itself is fine, as it gets all T1
and T2 channels on Windows. This implies something awry with it
in a Linux context.

OK, I can't reproduce this on Tacoleneston which has three T2
muxes.

I have managed to get some proper T2 tuning. :-)

Someone emailed me privately to tell me about:

https://github.com/OpenELEC/dvb-firmware

The 292e demod firmware in their is 8 bug fix release further on that
the one I had. It looks like there was a crucial bug fix in there.

Ahh, that's good. I ought to get that myself, I am still using 4.0.4!

I am using some old git version (Jun 10), I'll try current as time
 allows.

FWIW I did build current git and it does work.

I am finding locking behaviour to be very strange. Sometimes I get an
immediate lock on a -50.0 signal, sometimes -35.0 signal fails to
lock. I am not sure if this is just a timing/sampling thing or
whether there is a quality of signal thing I am missing.

I've only really tested with a "real" aerial, but it did seem like
sometimes it took longer than others to lock.

As I am focused on lightweight, I am working with non-fixed aerials
so low signal strengths. Though for testing I have an aerial with
powered high gain.

Random thoughts on player -

You'll need to handle AAC in LATM that switches between 2 and 5
channels. VLC falls down in this respect. Avoid FAAD as the release at
least had a bug that will cause volume issues with some content if it
has dynamic range control metadata. ffmpeg aacdec handles channel
switching and ignores DRC meta - so you get full range.

On V4l

As I leave mine plugged in a headless box I don't hit this, but I think
there's a chance that if you repeatedly plug and have fragmented memory
that it will eventually fail to allocate some buffers.