Re: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR2205 driver feedback

>> Do you have a large number of other devices / drivers loaded? I
>> suspect another driver is burning through kernel memory before the
>> saa7164 has a chance to be initialized.
>
> Nope nothing I can see Its actually the only addon card I have in this
> system..
> I'd be buggered If 4GB of RAM is fragmented enough early on in the boot
> stage...?

I agree.

> I've hunted but can't find a nice way to determine what contiguous blocks
> are available..
> Noted there was a simple module that could be compiled in to test such
> things, I'll play with that and see what it turns up..

Let us know how that goes.

>> I took a quick look at saa7164-fw.c this morning, I see no reason why
>> the allocation is required at all. With a small patch the function
>> could be made to memcpy from 'src' directly, dropping the need to
>> allocate srcbuf what-so-ever. This would remove the need for the 4MB
>> temporary allocation, and might get you past this issue, likely on to
>> the next (user buffer allocations are also large - as I recall). Note
>> that the 4MB allocation is temporary, so its not a long term saving,
>> but it might get you past the hump.
>
> That was my thoughts exactly.. but I took a minimal fiddling approach to
> begin with..
> I wasn't sure if there was some requirement for the memcpy_toio requiring a
> specially allocated source..? can't see why..
> Was going to dig into that next as a side job..

At this stage the code is 7-8 years old, so I don't recall the
rationale for why I did that back in 2008(?) - but looking at it
today, I think its needless.... and its a fairly trivial thing to
remove and test.

--
Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com