Re: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR2205 driver feedback

On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 9:59 PM, Richard Tresidder
<rtresidd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Steven
>    Nope standard x86_64
> kernel 3.10.0-229.14.1.el7.x86_64

Hmm.

> Was rather surprised as all my quick reading indicates that the kernel
> should quite happily do this...
> Though looks like its the largest chunk you can request? I'm not well enough
> up to speed with the nitty gritty..

Yeah, 4MB is the upper limit IIRC.

> There is mention of something similar against this card on www linuxtv org
> wiki index.php  Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2200
>
> ********
> Note: Some kernels will not have enough free memory available for the
> driver. The dmesg error will start with a message like this:
> ] modprobe: page allocation failure: order:10, mode:0x2000d0
> followed by a stack trace and other debugging information. While the driver
> will load, no devices will be registered.
> The simple workaround is to allocate more memory for the kernel:
> sudo /bin/echo 16384 > /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes
> sudo rmmod saa7164
> sudo modprobe saa7164
> ********

Hmm. I wasn't aware people in the past has seen the issue either. I
assume you've tried the above and its not helping, or in fact growing
that number for experimentation purposes.

Do you have a large number of other devices / drivers loaded? I
suspect another driver is burning through kernel memory before the
saa7164 has a chance to be initialized.

I took a quick look at saa7164-fw.c this morning, I see no reason why
the allocation is required at all. With a small patch the function
could be made to memcpy from 'src' directly, dropping the need to
allocate srcbuf what-so-ever. This would remove the need for the 4MB
temporary allocation, and might get you past this issue, likely on to
the next (user buffer allocations are also large - as I recall). Note
that the 4MB allocation is temporary, so its not a long term saving,
but it might get you past the hump.

--
Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com