Re: STK1160 driver connected to usb hub

(Ccing the media ML)

See my reply below.

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 4:36 AM, Yin Ling <birdyin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Ezequiel Garcia,
>
> Sorry for this bother. We are researcher at University and working on
> STK1160 usb connection related solusion. As our system needs multiple
> STK1160 to input video data, we plan to use usb Hub to connect
> multiple STK1160. Nevertheless, currently only one STK1160 with driver
> can be operated by one usb Hub host from the information below,
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Stk1160_based_USB_2.0_video_and_audio_capture_devices#Known_issues
> It wrote that "To one root hub port can connect only one device. Can
> connect multiple, but at the same time only one operate. This not an
> power supply issue, since the device consumes only 200mA in operation
> mode. Number of devices that can simultaneously connect to PC depends
> on the amount root hub ports."
>
> If try to operate multiple STK1160 by one usb Hub, is it possible?
> Could you help to provide any hints or technological ways to achieve
> this goal?

As far as I can recall, the only constraint is the USB host controller
isochronous bandwidth.
Given the stk1160 chip streams raw video, and given I have found no
way to implement frame size in-chip reduction,
your USB host must be able to deal with raw full frames. Roughly
speaking you need as much as 20 MB/s for each stk1160 video input.

Such throughput is more or less close, to USB2.0 maximum throughput.

I hope someone can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here.

> Additionally, if this way is not feasible, we have to work on
> capturing 4 channel video data from one STK1160 at the same time. We
> have to switch channel to capture each specific channel video data. We
> found that if we switch channel with the frequency as 1s, the quality
> of images are not well. Do you know how we can capture 4 channel good
> quality video data, lower switch frequency? How much it could be?

I think this is a hardware limitation. The stk1160 is not able to
capture from the multiple channels
simultaneously. I honestly don't recall how it performs when fast
switching between channels, but I wouldn't expect much.

> As we are very busy with the system, and are confusing with these
> problems at this period, we are highly looking forward to receiving
> your information. or else, if anyone may knows the solution, could you
> help to provide to us as well?

Maybe you can get yourself a video capture device that can stream
compressed video? That will certainly reduce the USB bandwidth
requirement.

Hope this helps!
--
Ezequiel García, VanguardiaSur