Re: Conexant PCI-8604PW 4 channel BNC Video capture card (bttv)

On 11/02/14 13:38, Daniel Glöckner wrote:
On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 01:16:53PM +0000, Robert Longbottom wrote:
On 28 Jan 2014, at 02:02 AM, Daniel Glöckner <daniel-gl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
When we cycle through all combinations in one minute, there are about
a hundred PCI cycles per combination left for the chip to be granted
access to the bus. I expect most of the pins to provide a priority
or weighting value for each BT878A, so there should be many combinations
that do something.

How difficult is it for me to do this?  And is it obvious when it works?
I have an old pc that I can put the card in that doesn't matter. And given
I can't get the card to work in windows or Linux its not much use to me as
it is, so if it breaks then so be it.

I've not done any Linux driver development, but I'm happy enough compiling
stuff for the most part.

Try the attached program. It must be linked with -lrt. It will set all 24
GPIOs of that one chip to output. The output file contains one nibble
per GPIO combination with each bit representing one of the BT878.

In my tests with a single BT878 the 10us delay sometimes was not enough
for the RISC PC to advance. It should be enough to recognize a pattern,
though.

   Daniel

DMA from userspace... I feel dirty...

Neat, thanks, I'm impressed you took the time to implement %-complete messages :-) And glad you did because it took a while to run, about 15 mins and seemed to go slower in the middle, so slow I thought it had died.

I ran it without anything else running, with no video inputs plugged into the card and with the bttv module loaded with no additional options - i.e. I just let it use the autodetect on the card. Let me know if I should have plugged something in, or specified some module options and I'll try that.

The output is attached - I've gzip'd it because it was 8Mb and I didn't want to send something that big to the whole list, but I guess it might not get through.

I hope it means something to you because it doesn't mean anything to me :-)

Thanks,
Rob.