Re: Conexant PCI-8604PW 4 channel BNC Video capture card (bttv)

On 27/01/14 03:20, Daniel Glöckner wrote:
On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 04:23:06PM +0000, Robert Longbottom wrote:
000 000000D7 DSTATUS
114 32734000 RISC_STRT_ADD
120 32734000 RISC_COUNT

Video is present and locked but the RISC counter is stuck at the start
address. My best guess is that the CPLD is not forwarding the REQ signal
to the PCI bridge, so the BT878A can't fetch the RISC instructions.
But then there is also this persistent ADC overflow...

As for the CPLD, there is not much we can do. I count 23 GPIOs going
to that chip. And we don't know if some of these are outputs of the
CPLD, making it a bit risky to just randomly drive values on those
pins.

Is that because it might do some damage to the card, or to the host computer, or both? Or is it just too hard to make random guesses at what it should be doing?

If we had the original software, we could analyze what it is doing.
There is someone on ebay.com selling two of those cards and a cd
labled "Rescue Disk Version 1.14 for Linux DVR".

Ah yes, I've just found that, it seems a little pricey! There is also a listing for an "Avermedia 4 Eyes Pro Capture Card PCI 8604" which looks pretty much the same, but it doesn't have any software with it and searching around for any more information on that hasn't got me anywhere.

I've just been trying to make my card work under Windows, but no luck there either. I didn't get a driver CD with it, Windows 7 doesn't autodetect anything for the video chips and when I tried to frig some drivers I found earlier today for a similar looking card they did install, but then didn't work - the not very helpful "device failed to start" error you get in Windows. Which I guess means it's just not the right driver.

Shame, but I think I'll just have to chalk it up to experience - it wouldn't be my first duff purchase in the video-capture-device-for-linux area :-)

Thanks for all your efforts.
Cheers,
Rob.