Re: Easycap DC60 stk1160 driver

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 05:29:42PM +0200, C. Bassa wrote:
> Hi Ezequiel and Andrew,
>
> Andrew replied to my request on his easycap forum, so I'll answer you both here.
>
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Ezequiel Garcia
> <ezequiel.garcia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If you have any chance to test a v3.11 or later kernel, please report
> > let me know if this is your problem or there's something new going on.
>
> I'm running Xubuntu 13.10 live and stk1160 recognizes the device and
> cheese and ffmpeg show the video. Unfortunately the frames are garbled
> as if the size of the frames is wrong. Do you know of this problem and
> a possible fix for it?

Hm, easycap and stk1160 are completely different drivers. So any
parameters you were using might need some re-check.

Could you try mplayer and post your command line and your results?

Do you see an *all* green frame or just a garbled frame? Can you upload
a snapshot somewhere?

> > Also, if you can crack open (carefully) your easycap and check the
> > encoder is gm7113 then that confirms you need either a newer kernel
> > or request Ubuntu people to backport the fix (it's really very easy).
>
> Yes, it indeed uses the gm7113 encoder, so the new kernel is necessary.
>
> Would it be possible, or at all advisable, to try to compile the
> easycap driver from Ubuntu 12.04 on the newer kernels?

I guess you can try to build easycap and see if it works. If you've been
using it all this time without problems, then you can keep on using it.
--
Ezequiel García, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android Engineering