Re: Easycap DC60 stk1160 driver

Hi Cees Bassa,

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 02:14:57PM +0200, C. Bassa wrote:

> My EasyCAP DC60 device works fine in Xubuntu 12.04.3 (kernel 3.2.0)
> but when I try to use it in Xubuntu 13.04 (kernel 3.8.0) it displays a
> green screen when using mplayer, or fails to stream all together using
> cheese.
>
> No error messages are reported in /var/log/syslog, so I am not sure
> what may be wrong.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The staging easycap driver was completely rewritten from scratch and a new
'stk1160' driver replaced it in v3.7.

This new driver uses the saa7115 driver to support the encoder chip as
found on those devices. However, some devices are using an encoder called
'gm7113c' which is not supported by the saa7115 driver present in older
kernels.

A fix was found this year by Jon Arne Jørgensen and it's included in
v3.11 or later.

If you have any chance to test a v3.11 or later kernel, please report
let me know if this is your problem or there's something new going on.

Also, if you can crack open (carefully) your easycap and check the
encoder is gm7113 then that confirms you need either a newer kernel
or request Ubuntu people to backport the fix (it's really very easy).

Good luck!
--
Ezequiel García, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android Engineering