Re: Chipset change for CX88_BOARD_PINNACLE_PCTV_HD_800i

Devin Heitmueller <dheitmueller <at> kernellabs.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Mack Stanley <mcs1937 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > So, keeping all of the configuration settings exactly the same and
> > simply using s5h1411_attach instead of s5h1409_attach works perfectly.
> > Maybe the easiest path is just to have the driver try one, if it fails,
> > try the other.
>
> I actually don't have a sample of the new board, so if you wanted to
> submit a patch upstream which does the following, that would be great:
>
> 1.  in cx88-dvb.c, do the dvb_attach() call against the s5h1409 just
> as it was before
> 2.  If the dvb_attach() call returns NULL for the 1409, make the
> attach call against the s5h1411.
>
> Submit it to the linux-media mailing list to to solicit people willing
> to test.  This is mostly to make sure that it doesn't break the 1409
> based boards.  By doing the 1409 attach first, there is a high
> likelihood that it won't cause a regression (if you did the 1411
> attach first, there is greater risk that you will cause breakage for
> the 1409 boards).
>
> Be sure to include the "Signed-Off-By" line which is a requirement for
> it to be accepted upstream.  I'll eyeball the patch and put a
> "Reviewed-by" line on it.
>
> Devin

Hi,

Was there any progress on including the support for PCTV 800i S5H1411 based?

I have two such boards, both using S5H1411 and up until recently I was patching
the driver as instructed here:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?s=3e6dd6214edd1145b5df6336d10ff941&p=1586999&postcount=9
A week ago, openSUSE 12.2 updated the kernel to 3.4.28-2.20 and now building the
v4l drivers from git results in kernel panic.(I had to restore the system from
an image backup).

Even before, there was always a problem with building from source; when doing
that the kernel reports /lib/modules/3.x.x-desktop is inconsistent and this
prevents other drivers from installing (i.e. nvidia).
This happens on a few different systems when using the instructions from here:
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers

Any suggestion appreciated.

Thank you,
Lucian