Re: Patch update notification: 37 patches updated

Em Mon, 24 Dec 2012 11:56:22 +0100
Frank Schäfer <fschaefer.oss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Am 23.12.2012 15:57, schrieb Mauro Carvalho Chehab:
> > Em Sun, 23 Dec 2012 14:45:31 +0100
> > Frank Schäfer <fschaefer.oss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
> >
> >> Hi Mauro,

> >> This patch has not been applied yet to the media-tree.
> >> Without this patch, frame data processing for non-interlaced devices is
> >> broken.
> > Not sure what happened there: I couldn't see this specific patch. Yet,
> > at least some of the changes there seem to be applied. My guess is that
> > somehow, this patch got merged with some other patch, or maybe the
> > conflicts solving when the vbi-merge patches got applied (partially)
> > fixed it.
> >
> > In any case, you'll need to rebase it, as it doesn't apply anymore.
>
> Ok, I did a git diff against my local version and all changes (except
> the remaining i2c stuff) seem to be applied.
>
> One thing I noticed: you fixed strings with lines > 80 characters.
> This is handled differently everywhere...
> I know splitting strings breaks grepping, OTOH checkpatch complains.
> So you prefer violating the 80 chars rule ?

80-chars is a warning, and, from time to time, it rises discussions here
and at LKML, as there are know cases where this is violated for good.

We prefer to not break long string lines due to grep. It also can makes the
code a little more obfuscate (like on one place on your patchset where
the same string was broken into 3 or 4 lines).

The hole idea of the 80 cols rule is to avoid obfuscation, by avoiding
having complex logic inside the Kernel, and not to create more obfuscation ;)

Of course, we don't want a big "style fix" patch changing it, but, as the
code is being touched, we fix those style stuff.

Regards,
Mauro