Re: dvb_usb_v2: use pointers to properties[REGRESSION]

On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 18:52 +0300, Antti Palosaari wrote:
> On 06/16/2012 03:06 PM, Malcolm Priestley wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 04:16 +0300, Antti Palosaari wrote:
> >> I did example for you, here you are :)

> >> static int lme2510_get_usb_stream_config(struct dvb_frontend *fe,
> >> 		struct usb_data_stream_properties *stream)
> >> {
> >> 	struct dvb_usb_adapter *adap;
> >> 	struct lme2510_state *state;
> >>
> >> 	stream->type = USB_BULK;
> >> 	stream->count = 10;
> >> 	stream->u.bulk.buffersize = 4096;
> >>
> >> // ugly part begins
> >> 	if (fe == NULL)
> >> 		return 0;
> >> 	adap = fe->dvb->priv;
> >> 	state = adap->dev->priv;
> >> // ugly part ends
> >>
> >> 	if (state->chip_id == lme2510c)
> >> 		stream->endpoint = 8;
> >> 	else
> >> 		stream->endpoint = 6;
> >>
> >> 	return 0;
> >> }
> >>
> >> Ugly part between comments is what I am going to change, but currently
> >> it works as is.
> >>
> > This doesn't work because the code will return the stream->endpoint
> > unset and then try to initialise usb_urb_init.
>
> So what? It happens only once when device is initialized. We do not need
> to know endpoint at that phase as we do not stream yet.
Please read your code you submit the urbs.

int dvb_usb_adapter_stream_init(struct dvb_usb_adapter *adap)
{
	int ret;
	struct usb_data_stream_properties stream_props;

	adap->stream.udev = adap->dev->udev;
	adap->stream.user_priv = adap;

	/* resolve USB stream configuration for buffer alloc */
	if (adap->dev->props->get_usb_stream_config) {
		ret = adap->dev->props->get_usb_stream_config(NULL,
				&stream_props);
		if (ret < 0)
			return ret;
	} else {
		stream_props = adap->props->stream;
	}

	/* FIXME: can be removed as set later in anyway */
	adap->stream.complete = dvb_usb_data_complete;

	return usb_urb_init(&adap->stream, &stream_props); <<<<----here
}

> > It would be far better to have get_usb_stream_config point to adapter
> > and point to adap->fe[adap->active_fe] inside if need be.
>
> Why?
Again read your code. why do we need frontend ? ... we want adapter.

Always pointing to same adapter regardless of frontend number.

static int af9015_get_usb_stream_config(struct dvb_frontend *fe,
		struct usb_data_stream_properties *stream)
{
	struct dvb_usb_adapter *adap;

	deb_info("%s: fe=%p\n", __func__, fe);

	stream->type = USB_BULK;
	stream->count = 8;
	stream->endpoint = 0x84;
	stream->u.bulk.buffersize = TS_USB20_FRAME_SIZE;

	if (fe == NULL)
		return 0;

	 adap = fe->dvb->priv; <<< always same adapter

	if (adap->id == 1)
		stream->endpoint = 0x85;

	if (adap->dev->udev->speed == USB_SPEED_FULL)
		stream->u.bulk.buffersize = TS_USB11_FRAME_SIZE;

	return 0;
}

> As we are going to configure stream based _frontend_ current needs we
> just need to know frontend and nothing more or less. If you pass adapter
> as a parameter then you don't know what is frontend in question as
> adapter coould have multiple frontends.
>
> active_fe member variable is meant to be internal use of DVB USB
> framework. You should not use it from the driver. You can see active
> frontend id just looking current frontend id (fe->id).
>
> > This is also the case with af9015, the code is extracting adapter
> > through another module.
>
> I don't understand what you mean.
>
> Also I would like to ask if you test code I given at all?
Yes, system crash. Endpoint not set.

> You seems not to understand that callback - get_usb_stream_config() - is
> there for configuring stream dynamically.
With get_usb_stream_config as;

	int (*get_usb_stream_config) (struct dvb_usb_adapter *,
			struct usb_data_stream_properties *);

If we really need the frontend we do this.

static int driverxxx_get_usb_stream_config(struct dvb_usb_adapter *adap,
		struct usb_data_stream_properties *stream)
{
	struct dvb_frontend *fe = adap->fe[adap->active_fe];

Regards

Malcolm