Re: dvb_usb_v2: use pointers to properties[REGRESSION]

On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 04:16 +0300, Antti Palosaari wrote:
> I did example for you, here you are :)
>
> On 06/16/2012 03:55 AM, Antti Palosaari wrote:

> >> Yes, but it does make run-time tweaks difficult.

> >> I will look at the PID filter later, it defaulted to off.
> >>
> >> However, in my builds for ARM devices it is defaulted on. I will be
> >> testing this later. I can't see any problems.

> >> Well, the problem is, I now need two separate structures for LME2510 and
> >> LME2510C as in the existing driver, the hope was to merge them as one.
> >> The only difference being the stream endpoint number.
> >
> > Then you should use .get_usb_stream_config() instead of static stream
> > configuration. That is now supported.
> >
> > I have found one logical error in my current implementation.
> > get_usb_stream_config gets frontend as a parameter, but it is called
> > frontend == NULL when attaching adapters and after that frontend is real
> > value when called (just before streaming is started). Now what happens
> > if we has multiple adapters? We cannot know which adapter is requested
> > during attach since FE is NULL :)
> > But that is problem case only if you have multiple adapters. I will find
> > out better solution next few days. It is ugly now.
> > You can just skip fe checking or something. See AF9015 for example.
> >
> >> Currently, it is implemented in identify_state on dvb_usb_v2.
> >>
> >> The get_usb_stream_config has no access to device to to allow a run-time
> >> change there.
> >
> > Hmmm, what you try to say? As FE is given as a pointer, you have also
> > adapter and device. Those are nested, device is root, then adapter is
> > under that and finally frontend are under the adapter.
> >

> > .
> > └── device
> >      ├── adapter0
> >      │   ├── frontend0
> >      │   ├── frontend1
> >      │   └── frontend2
> >      └── adapter1
> >          ├── frontend0
> >          ├── frontend1
> >          └── frontend2
> >

> > regards
> > Antti
>
> static int lme2510_get_usb_stream_config(struct dvb_frontend *fe,
> 		struct usb_data_stream_properties *stream)
> {
> 	struct dvb_usb_adapter *adap;
> 	struct lme2510_state *state;
>
> 	stream->type = USB_BULK;
> 	stream->count = 10;
> 	stream->u.bulk.buffersize = 4096;
>
> // ugly part begins
> 	if (fe == NULL)
> 		return 0;
> 	adap = fe->dvb->priv;
> 	state = adap->dev->priv;
> // ugly part ends
>
> 	if (state->chip_id == lme2510c)
> 		stream->endpoint = 8;
> 	else
> 		stream->endpoint = 6;
>
> 	return 0;
> }
>
> Ugly part between comments is what I am going to change, but currently
> it works as is.

This doesn't work because the code will return the stream->endpoint
unset and then try to initialise usb_urb_init.

It would be far better to have get_usb_stream_config point to adapter
and point to adap->fe[adap->active_fe] inside if need be.

This is also the case with af9015, the code is extracting adapter
through another module.

Regards

Malcolm