Re: dvb_usb_v2: use pointers to properties[REGRESSION]

On 06/16/2012 03:35 AM, Malcolm Priestley wrote:
On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 01:54 +0300, Antti Palosaari wrote:
Hello Malcolm,

On 06/16/2012 01:11 AM, Malcolm Priestley wrote:
Hi Antti

You can't have dvb_usb_device_properties as constant structure pointer.

At run time it needs to be copied to a private area.

Having constant structure for properties was one of main idea of whole
change. Earlier it causes some problems when driver changes those values
- for example remote configuration based info from the eeprom.

Two or more devices of the same type on the system will be pointing to
the same structure.

Yes and no. You can define struct dvb_usb_device_properties for each USB ID.

Any changes they make to the structure will be common to all.

For those devices having same USB ID only.
Changing dvb_usb_device_properties is *not* allowed. It is constant and
should be. That was how I designed it. Due to that I introduced those
new callbacks to resolve needed values dynamically.
Yes, but it does make run-time tweaks difficult.

If there is still something that is needed to resolve at runtime I am
happy to add new callback. For example PID filter configuration is
static currently as per adapter and if it is needed to to reconfigure at
runtime new callback is needed.
I will look at the PID filter later, it defaulted to off.

However, in my builds for ARM devices it is defaulted on. I will be
testing this later. I can't see any problems.

Could you say what is your problem I can likely say how to resolve it.

Well, the problem is, I now need two separate structures for LME2510 and
LME2510C as in the existing driver, the hope was to merge them as one.
The only difference being the stream endpoint number.

Then you should use .get_usb_stream_config() instead of static stream configuration. That is now supported.

I have found one logical error in my current implementation. get_usb_stream_config gets frontend as a parameter, but it is called frontend == NULL when attaching adapters and after that frontend is real value when called (just before streaming is started). Now what happens if we has multiple adapters? We cannot know which adapter is requested during attach since FE is NULL :) But that is problem case only if you have multiple adapters. I will find out better solution next few days. It is ugly now.
You can just skip fe checking or something. See AF9015 for example.

Currently, it is implemented in identify_state on dvb_usb_v2.

The get_usb_stream_config has no access to device to to allow a run-time
change there.

Hmmm, what you try to say? As FE is given as a pointer, you have also adapter and device. Those are nested, device is root, then adapter is under that and finally frontend are under the adapter.

.
└── device
    ├── adapter0
    │   ├── frontend0