Re: eMPIA EM2710 Webcam (em28xx) and LIRC

Em 15-03-2012 14:15, Ezequiel García escreveu:
> Hi Mauro,
>
> On 3/15/12, Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If you won't take it, it is likely that some day someone will do it,
>> but, as this is just a cleanup, the main developers won't likely
>> have time for doing it, as they're generally busy adding support for
>> new hardware.
>>

> I have no problem submitting the two patches in discussion.
> (Actually, I've already wroten the first one).

Good!

> If Rui wants to help me, it would be nice to get this tested,
> since I don't have the necessary hardware.

I might test, but I'm currently very busy with some other stuff,
so I won't likely have time for it anytime soon.

> One thing I haven't got clear is this: I've seen that ir_raw_init()
> does not call request_module() directly but rather defers it
> through a work queue.

Deferring request_module to a work_queue is a common procedure we
do at v4l drivers. It helps to initialize faster, and prevents some
dependency issues, as the decoders depend on rc_core to be initialized,
in order to load.

> I don't understand fully the rc code, but still I don't get what
> happens if I need the raw decoders *now* (so to speak)
> but the work queue hasn't been run yet?

Well, if you press an RC key while the needed decoded is not loaded,
that key will be lost. No other problems should happen.

Regards,
Mauro.