Re: My Microdia (SN9C201) webcam doesn't work properly in Linux anymore

Hi Theodore

> > It looks like I'll have to keep checking eBay for cheap USB v3 (HD)
> > webcams periodically.
>
> Which somebody will need to support because they will probably not work
> out of the box with an OEM driver CD ;-)

Ah yes, there is that aspect to think about before making a purchase
:-).  Actually, I think Linus will be pretty keen to rush support for
USB v3 webcams into the kernel.  Hopefully it won't take too long for
a few cheapies to work in Linux.

> Some of the cheap cameras do work pretty well, actually. But as far as I
> know any resolution better than 640*480 seems to be pretty unusual. Lots
> of "interpolated" higher resolution meaning they have inflated the
> pictures, of course. But some of the 640x480 cameras do better than
> others. And also I should point out that if 4 fps is OK with you then some
> of the cameras do not even do compression. If you could get hold of an old
> SQ905 camera that will do 640x480 it runs on bulk transport and there is
> no compression of frame data at all. Also, what is interesting is that
> with all the cheap cameras they cut corners, of course. But the SQ905
> cameras always seemed to me to tend to have better optics than a lot of
> the other cheap cams. Where they really cut down on features was with the
> controller chip. It will do practically nothing compared to some others.
> The SQ905 used to be advertised as the cheapest camera controller chip on
> the market, once upon a time. But the images one gets from those cameras
> sometimes are not half bad.

Thanks for letting me know about that model.  I think I'll be able to
stay with my SN9C201 for now, especially since I've started using
Motion's auto-brightness setting.  It almost seemed like the sun was
in the room with me last night :-).

> Also I should mention that if one wants to get better images out then it
> is best somehow to capture and save the raw data and process it later.
> This is true for any camera which either produces an uncompressed bitmap
> raw image, and also for any camera which does compression of said bitmap
> image before sending it down to the computer. Everything but JPEG, pretty
> much. Why is this? Because the image processing used with webcams must
> necessarily have speed as the number one priority, else the frame rate
> suffers severely. If one is not thus constrained, it is possible to do a
> much better job with that raw data. But remember that you can maximize
> image quality, or you can maximize frame rate. Choose one of the two.

Yeah, I had a feeling that would be the case.  The following is an
extract from Motion's configuration file.  If I want to maximise
quality, which of these options do you think I should choose?  As you
can see, I've been using the default one (8) lately.

# v4l2_palette allows to choose preferable palette to be use by motion
# to capture from those supported by your videodevice. (default: 8)
# E.g. if your videodevice supports both V4L2_PIX_FMT_SBGGR8 and
# V4L2_PIX_FMT_MJPEG then motion will by default use V4L2_PIX_FMT_MJPEG.
# Setting v4l2_palette to 1 forces motion to use V4L2_PIX_FMT_SBGGR8
# instead.
#
# Values :
# V4L2_PIX_FMT_SN9C10X : 0  'S910'