Re: [Q] Interleaved formats on the media bus

Hi Laurent,

On 02/05/2012 02:30 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> On Saturday 04 February 2012 18:00:10 Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:

>>> My gut feeling is that the information should be retrieved from the sensor
>>> driver. This is all pretty vendor-specific, and adding explicit support
>>> for such sensors to each bridge driver wouldn't be very clean. Could the
>>> bridge
>>
>> We have many standard pixel codes in include/linux/v4l2-mediabus.h, yet each
>> bridge driver supports only a subset of them. I wouldn't expect a sudden
>> need for all existing bridge drivers to support some strange interleaved
>> image formats.
>
> Those media bus codes are standard, so implementing explicit support for them
> in bridge drivers is fine with me. What I want to avoid is adding explicit
> support for sensor-specific formats to bridges. There should be no dependency
> between the bridge and the sensor.

OK, I see your point. Naturally I agree here, even though sometimes the hardware
engineers make this process of getting rid of the dependencies more painful that
it really could be.

>>> query the sensor using a subdev operation ?
>>
>> There is also a MIPI-CSI2 receiver in between that needs to be configured.
>> I.e. it must know that it processes the User Defined Data 1, which implies
>> certain pixel alignment, etc. So far a media bus pixel codes have been
>> a base information to handle such things.
>
> For CSI user-defined data types, I still think that the information required
> to configure the CSI receiver should come from the sensor. Only the sensor
> knows what user-defined data type it will generate.

I agree. Should we have separate callback at the sensor ops for this or should
it belong to a bigger data structure (like the "frame description" structure
mentioned before) ? The latter might be more reasonable.

>>> Would setting the format directly on the sensor subdev be an option ?
>>
>> Do you mean setting a MIPI-CSI2 format ?
>
> No, I mean setting the media bus code on the sensor output pad to a vendor-
> specific value.

I'm afraid we need a vendor/sensor specific format identifier since the sensor
produces truly vendor specific format. In fact this format is made to overcome
hardware limitations of the video bridge. We can of course standardize things
like: embedded (non-image) data presence and size at beginning and an end of
frame, MIPI-CSIS2 data type, interleaving method (different data type and/or
virtual channel), etc. But still there will be some crap that is relevant to
only one hardware type and it would need to be distinguished in some way.

--

Regards,
Sylwester