[Q] Interleaved formats on the media bus

Hi all,

Some camera sensors generate data formats that cannot be described using
current convention of the media bus pixel code naming.

For instance, interleaved JPEG data and raw VYUY. Moreover interleaving
is rather vendor specific, IOW I imagine there might be many ways of how
the interleaving algorithm is designed.

I'm wondering how to handle this. For sure such an image format will need
a new vendor-specific fourcc. Should we have also vendor specific media bus code ?

I would like to avoid vendor specific media bus codes as much as possible.
For instance defining something like

V4L2_MBUS_FMT_VYUY_JPEG_1X8

for interleaved VYUY and JPEG data might do, except it doesn't tell anything
about how the data is interleaved.

So maybe we could add some code describing interleaving (xxxx)

V4L2_MBUS_FMT_xxxx_VYUY_JPEG_1X8

or just the sensor name instead ?

Thoughts ?

Regards,