Re: [Q] Interleaved formats on the media bus

On 02/05/2012 12:44 AM, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
>> Yes, this is what I started with. What do you think about creating media

Actually now I have something like V4L2_MBUS_FMT_VYUY_JPEG_I1_1X8
(I1 indicating interleaving method), so it is not so tightly tied
to a particular sensor.

>> bus codes directly corresponding the the user defined MIPI-CSI data types ?
>
> We've discussed this before with Laurent, IIRC, and the decision was, that
> since a "typical" CSI-2 configuration includes a CSI-2 phy, interfacing to
> a "standard" bridge, that can also receive parallel data directly, and the
> phy normally has a 1-to-1 mapping from CSI-2 formats to mediabus codes,
> so, we can just as well directly use respective mediabus codes to
> configure CSI-2 phys.

OK. The 1-to-1 mapping is true only for MIPI-CSI defined image formats AFAICS.
Let's take JPEG as an example, AFAIU there is nothing in the standard indicating
which User Defined Data Type should be used for JPEG. If some bridge/sensor pair
uses User1 for V4L2_MBUS_FMT_JPEG_1X8 and other uses User2 then there is no way
to make any of these sensors work with any bridge without code modifications.
Looks like we would need MIPI-CSI DT field in format description data structure
((like) struct soc_mbus_lookup).

--

Thanks,
Sylwester