Re: [Workshop-2011] Media Subsystem Workshop 2011

Em 04-08-2011 18:38, Adam Baker escreveu:
> On Thursday 04 August 2011, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>>> That'd also be my understanding. There are already several standard ways
>>> to access data on still cameras: mass-storage, PTP, MTP, why invent Yet
>>> Another One? "Just" learn to share a device between several existing
>>> drivers.
>>
>> For those that can export data into some fs-like way, this may be the
>> better way. It seems that gvfs does something like that. I've no idea how
>> easy or difficult would be to write Kernel driver for it.
>
> As I understand it gvfs uses libgphoto2 and fuse and it is the interface
> libghoto2 that is the problem. libgphoto2 contains lots of the same sort of
> code to handle strange data formats from the camera as libv4l so I don't think
> we want to be moving that code back into the kernel.(The old out of kernel
> driver for sq905 before Theodore and I rewrote it contained code to do Bayer
> decoding and gamma correction that was copied from libgphoto2).

I don't think we should move the entire libgphoto2 to kernel. For sure, format
conversions don't belong to Kernelspace. We just need to move the file handling
(e. g. PTP/MTP) to a kernel driver. Something might be needed for libgphoto2
to know what is the format of the images inside the filesystem, but this could
be just mapped as a file extension.