Re: [Workshop-2011] Media Subsystem Workshop 2011

(re-adding all from the original CC-list, please, don't drop anyone)

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011, Jean-Francois Moine wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 09:40:18 -0300
> Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > What we need for this is a simple API (new v4l ioctl's I guess) for the
> > > stillcam mode of these dual mode cameras (stillcam + webcam). So that the
> > > webcam drivers can grow code to also allow access to the stored pictures,
> > > which were taken in standalone (iow not connected to usb) stillcam mode.
> > >
> > > This API does not need to be terribly complex. AFAIK all of the currently
> > > supported dual cam cameras don't have filenames only picture numbers,
> > > so the API could consist of a simple, get highest picture nr, is picture
> > > X present (some slots may contain deleted pictures), get picture X,
> > > delete picture X, delete all API.
> >
> > That sounds to work. I would map it on a way close to the controls API
> > (or like the DVB FE_[GET|SET]_PROPERTY API), as this would make easier to expand
> > it in the future, if we start to see webcams with file names or other things
> > like that.
>
> I did not follow all the thread, but I was wondering about an other
> solution: what about offering both USB mass storage and webcam accesses?
>
> When a dual-mode webcam is plugged in, the driver creates two devices,
> the video device /dev/videox and the volume /dev/sdx. When the webcam is
> opened, the volume cannot be mounted. When the volume is mounted, the
> webcam cannot be opened. There is no need for a specific API. As Mauro
> said:
>
> > For those, we may eventually need some sort of locking between
> > the USB storage and V4L.
>
> That's all. By where am I wrong?

That'd also be my understanding. There are already several standard ways
to access data on still cameras: mass-storage, PTP, MTP, why invent Yet
Another One? "Just" learn to share a device between several existing
drivers.

Thanks
Guennadi
---