Re: [Workshop-2011] Media Subsystem Workshop 2011

On Thursday 04 August 2011, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > That'd also be my understanding. There are already several standard ways
> > to access data on still cameras: mass-storage, PTP, MTP, why invent Yet
> > Another One? "Just" learn to share a device between several existing
> > drivers.
>
> For those that can export data into some fs-like way, this may be the
> better way. It seems that gvfs does something like that. I've no idea how
> easy or difficult would be to write Kernel driver for it.

As I understand it gvfs uses libgphoto2 and fuse and it is the interface
libghoto2 that is the problem. libgphoto2 contains lots of the same sort of
code to handle strange data formats from the camera as libv4l so I don't think
we want to be moving that code back into the kernel.(The old out of kernel
driver for sq905 before Theodore and I rewrote it contained code to do Bayer
decoding and gamma correction that was copied from libgphoto2).

Regards

Adam Baker