Re: [patch][saa7134] do not change mute state for capturing audio

Em 22-07-2011 04:51, Stas Sergeev escreveu:
> Ok, Mauro, so may I take your silence as an evidence
> that this reiterating myth about the mplayer breakage
> is just a myth?

It is due to my lack of time of explaining the obvious for you.
Changing the behavior of the kernel drivers has consequences
on userspace, called regressions. Regressions are not allowed
at the Linux Kernel: a binary that used to run with an old
kernel should keep running on a new kernel.

In this specific case, applications like mplayer,
using the alsa parameters for streaming will stop work, as mplayer
won't touch at the mixer or at the V4L mute control. So,
it will have the same practical effect of a kernel bug at the
audio part of the driver.

> Look, I spent time on investigating the problem, on
> trying the different approaches to fix it, on explaining
> the problem to you, etc. So maybe I deserve something
> more than just a blunt "NACK, lets fix real bugs" reply
> you initially did? :)
> Note: that's the first time I got the nack without any
> explanation in the very first reply, and with the false
> explanations later. My patch doesn't break mplayer: it
> can't, since mplayer does not use that interface at all.
> And my patch fixes a real problem, so even if it is for
> some reasons incorrect, it certainly deserves a better
> treatment than the false claims.
> I guess you are doing this in order to just push your
> own patch, and you'll do that anyway, so this "letter of
> disappointment" is going to be my last posting to that
> thread, unless you decide to explain your nack after all. :)

I probably won't push my own patch, at least for now, as it
is not tested, and I'm currently lacking time to install a few
saa7134 boards for testing.