Re: [patch][saa7134] do not change mute state for capturing audio

Em 10-07-2011 13:27, Stas Sergeev escreveu:
> Hi.
>
> When pulseaudio enables the audio capturing, the
> driver unmutes the sound. But, if no app have properly
> tuned the tuner yet, you get the white noise.
> I think the capturing must not touch the mute state,
> because, without tuning the tuner first, you can't capture
> anything anyway.
> Without this patch I am getting the white noise on every
> xorg/pulseaudio startup, which made me to always think
> that pulseaudio is a joke and will soon be removed. :)

Nack. We shouldn't patch a kernel driver due to an userspace bad behavior.

I've pinged Lennart about that and he is suggesting that we should use
a non-standard name for the controls, in order to avoid pulseaudio to touch
on them. We need first to double check if applications like tvtime and xawtv
will work with a different name for the audio volumes. If the existing apps
are ok, then maybe all we need to do is to rename all media volumes as something
like "<foo> Grabber" or "<foo> V4L".

Cheers,
Mauro