Re: Tuning channels with DViCO FusionHDTV7 Dual Express

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 08:25:32PM -0500, Andy Walls wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 22:41 -0700, Dave Johansen wrote:

> > > I'm using Mythbuntu 10.10 x64, which I believe uses 2.6.35 but I will
> > > check tonight, so if the issue you're tracking down really is related
> > > to 2.6.36, then I imagine that my problem wouldn't be caused by what
> > > you're looking into. Plus, every time I've looked at dmesg the
> > > firmware has loaded properly, so I'm guessing I'm on 2.6.35 and being
> > > affected by a different issue.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the heads up,
> > > Dave
> > >

> > So I don't know how useful this is, but I tried Mythbuntu 10.10 x86
> > and it works like a charm. So the issue appears to be isolated to the
> > x64 build.
>
> You validated my guess. :)
>

> > If there's anything I can do to help figure out what the
> > cause of this issue is in the x64 build, then please let me know and
> > I'll do my best to help out.
>
> So this increases the likelyhood that this is a kernel problem
> introduced outside of the drivers/media directory.
>
> To find it, someone needs to clone out the kernel with git; start a git
> bisect using the lastest known good and earliest known bad kernel
> versions; and build, install, and test kernels until the problem is
> found, as outlined here:
>
> http://www.reactivated.net/weblog/archives/2006/01/using-git-bisect-to-find-buggy-kernel-patches/
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/maverick/man1/git-bisect.1.html
>

> The "build, install and test kernels" step is the pain.  Let's say it
> takes a 2 core AMD64 machine about 17 minutes to build a minimal kernel.
> The number of kernels that need to be tested will be roughly log2(Number
> of commits between known good and bad kernels).  So 30,000 commits will
> require roughly 15 kernel builds to narrow the problem.  If it takes 20
> minutes per iteration, that's 5 hours to find the problem.
>
> That someone also needs 64 bit hardware and a board supported by the
> cx23885 driver that also exhibits the problem.  I have an HVR-1850 and a
> 64-bit machine, but I haven't tested it yet.  I do not have 5 hours
> free.  Sorry.

The slowest part of the process for me was deciding to start. After
that, the 'install, test, and reboot back into a good kernel' cycle
takes about 10 minutes, then I start the next build and walk away. By
squeezing in one cycle in the morning before leaving for work, and one
or two in the evening, I have gotten this far:

Bisecting: 37 revisions left to test after this (roughly 5 steps)