RE: [linux-media] API V3 vs SAPI behavior difference in reading tuning parameters

Exactly. In the French DVB-T network, there is no regional NIT, only one
common national NIT. As a consequence, all tuning parameters (frequency
but also FEC, guard interval, etc) are wrong in the terrestrial delivery
descriptors because for a given TS they are obviously not identical on all
transmitters. Moreover, these parameters change over time (many transmitters
recently moved from 2/3 - 1/32 to 3/4 - 1/8).

In such networks, nobody "knows" for sure the modulation parameters. This is
why it is a good thing that the tuners can 1) find the actual parameters and
2) report them to the application whenever it requests them.

> I'd rather understand non-AUTO parameters that way: "Try these first,
> but if you want and if you can, you're free to try other parameters."

Exactly, for the same reasons as above.

This is why the new behavior of S2API (compared to API V3) is quite unfortunate.
On a pragmatic standpoint, this is really a major step backward.

-Thierry