Re: RFC: V4L2 driver for Qualcomm MSM camera.

Hi,

On Friday 07 January 2011 01:03:58 Yupeng Yan wrote:
> Thanks for the comments - certainly good arguments to our lawyers :-)...
> actually the information of how to config the ISP HW is requested to be
> protected for now, we are working on certain degree of openness.
>
> The HW config code is just a small part of the user space (daemon)
> tasks, the user space code also processes ISP states, carries out 3A
> algorithm and perform post processing features, etc. which will have to
> be protected, this is the reason why the daemon is used in QC solution.

That's fine. Having closed-source userspace 3A and post-processing isn't an
issue as far as the Linux driver is concerned.

We have the exact same requirements for the OMAP3. The 3A and image quality
enhancement algorithms are implemented in userspace, in a library that can be
used by applications (currently either through an open-source LGPL GStreamer
element that links to the closed-source library, or through a libv4l plugin).

There is no legal need to implement this in a daemon. LGPL software can be
linked to closed-source libraries, there is no risk there. If you insist on
implementing a daemon (I really can't understand why that would be needed),
the best solution would be to provide a library that applications can use to
communicate with the daemon. That library (and the daemon) should handle 3A
and post-processing tasks only. All ISP control (configuring the pipeline(s),
starting/stopping the stream(s), handling the video buffers, getting/setting
controls, reading statistics data, ...) must be implemented in the open-source
kernel driver.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart