Re: RFC: V4L2 driver for Qualcomm MSM camera.

Hi Shuzhen,

On Tuesday 04 January 2011 03:37:10 Shuzhen Wang wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 28, 2010 12:24 PM Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> >
> > I will strongly NAK any implementation that requires a daemon.
>
> We understand the motivation behind making the daemon optional.
> However there are restrictions from legal perspective, which we
> don't know how to get around.
>
> A simplest video streaming data flow with MSM ISP is like this:
>
> Sensor -> ISP Hardware pipeline -> videobuf
>
> The procedure to set up ISP pipeline is proprietary and cannot
> be open sourced. Without proper pipeline configuration, streaming
> won't work. And That's why we require the daemon.

Then I'm afraid you simply won't be able to provide an open-source Linux
driver.

The purpose of a driver is to allow the system to access the hardware. Whether
the code lives in the Linux kernel or in userspace is irrelevant here. If part
of your driver is closed source, then it can't be called open-source and it
can't be included in the mainline Linux kernel (there's a precedent on the
same issue in the Direct Rendering Manager subsystem, open-source kernel code
has been refused because it depended on closed-source userspace components).

If you want your hardware supported in the mainline Linux kernel you have to
play by the rules and provide a complete open-source driver. You need to sort
it out with your legal department and get a green light on disclosing
information on how to setup the ISP pipeline.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart