Von: Sebastian Fricke <sebastian.fricke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 18. September 2024 11:30
An: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
Cc: Hans Verkuil; Linux Media Mailing List; Sakari Ailus; Daniel Almeida; Mauro Carvalho Chehab; Hecht, Martin (Avnet Silica); Tommaso Merciai; Jacopo Mondi; Benjamin Mugnier; Laurent Pinchart; Ricardo Ribalda; Michael Tretter; Alain Volmat; Sean Young; Steve Cho; Tomasz Figa; Hidenori Kobayashi; Hu, Jerry W; Suresh Vankadara; Devarsh Thakkar; r-donadkar@xxxxxx; Dave Stevenson; Mehdi Djait; Nicolas Dufresne; Salahaldeen Altous
Betreff: [External]Re: [ANN] Media Summit September 16th: Final Agenda (v7)

Hey Hans & Mauro,

On 18.09.2024 09:24, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>Em Tue, 17 Sep 2024 14:52:19 +0200
>Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>
>> Hi Sebastian,
>>
>> On 9/17/24 11:17 AM, Sebastian Fricke wrote:
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > I remember that we wanted to still define a couple of processes for the
>> > multi-committer model for which we hadn't have the time on the media
>> > summit. Just would like to gather who would be interested to meet for
>> > that, where we meet (probably LPC venue) and when (Laurent just told me
>> > that Friday is probably a good slot for that).
>>
>> Can you refresh my memory which processes need more work?

Well I basically remember that we had a bunch of topics in our meetings
that we wanted to skip in order to talk about them here.
We looked at the documentation from DRM and wanted to think about
equivalent policies for media.
https://drm.pages.freedesktop.org/maintainer-tools/committer/committer-drm-misc.html#where-do-i-apply-my-patch

Also there were topics like how to handle backports.

>I have the same doubt. As discussed during the summit, Hans and I had some
>discussions yesterday, to address a few details. For both of us the process
>sounds well defined.

I know that we scraped a lot of topics in the meeting at the media
summit and I am not sure about the scope you discussed with Ricardo
yesterday. So, we don't have to meet if you feel like we covered
everything, just wanted to use the opportunity as long as we are all in
the same place.

Regards,
Sebastian

>From my personal notes, this will be the new process:
>
>- committers will merge patches at media-committers.git tree at fdo,
>  provided that they'll follow the rules defined on a committers agreement
>  and (partially?) enforced by media-ci checks;
>- core committers follow the same rules, with a broader privilege of
>  changing kernel API/ABI;
>- committers will ensure that patchwork will reflect the review process of
>  the patches;
>- maintainers will double-check if everything is ok and, if ok, merge the
>  changes at linuxtv.org. We intend to rename the tree there to "media.git",
>  being the main tree to be used for development;
>- pull requests will keep using the same process as currently. The only
>  change is that the media-stage.git tree will be renamed to "media.git";
>- maintainers will periodically send patches upstream.
>
>The media-commiters.git tree at fdo might be rebased if needed; the
>media.git tree at linuxtv.org is stable. A large effort will be taken to
>avoid rebasing it.
>
>We may need some helper scripts and/or use pwclient to keep patchwork
>updated after committers reviews.
>
>Such process will start after -rc1.
>
>We intend to rename media-state to media at linuxtv after -rc1.
>
>It is up to maintainers to invite and decide who will be a committer.
>
>All committers/core-committers need to explicitly accept a committers
>agreement. We may end starting without it at the beginning, but as soon
>as a final version of such agreement is written, everyone with access to
>the media-committers tree have to explicitly accept to keep their
>commit rights on such tree.
>
>The only part that still require some work is the committers
>agreement. I'm working on it together with Hans. As soon as we have
>a version, we'll submit a patch to the kernel, to add it to the
>media developer's profile[1].
>
>[1] Documentation/driver-api/media/maintainer-entry-profile.rst
>

>> For me I think Friday afternoon (probably after 14:00) is the only
>> option, or perhaps Thursday after the Camera MC.
>
>I can't meet on Friday afternoon. I probably will be on another
>event on Thursday (Openeuler MC).
>

>> Regards,
>>
>>      Hans
>>

>> > Regards,
>> > Sebastian

>> > Sebastian Fricke
>> > Consultant Software Engineer
>> >
>> > Collabora Ltd
>> > Platinum Building, St John's Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS, UK
>> > Registered in England & Wales no 5513718.

Sebastian Fricke
Consultant Software Engineer

Collabora Ltd
Platinum Building, St John's Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS, UK
Registered in England & Wales no 5513718.

We continuously commit to comply with the applicable data protection laws and ensure fair and transparent processing of your personal data.
Please read our privacy statement including an information notice and data protection policy for detailed information on our website.