RE: RFC: Problem of using v4l2 spec with codec function

Hi,

Hans Verkuil [hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx] wrote:

> > In two nodes case, application cannot know the feature via
> > VIDIOC_QUERYCAP.
> > Because decoder and encoder return the same CAPABILITY. OUTPUT and
> CAPTURE
> > So application should call VIDIOC_G_FMT to recognize the feature.
>
> The current V4L API is not good enough to determine what each video
> node
> can do. The upcoming media controller API should help in that. For the
> time being you should just assume that applications know what they are
> doing.
>
> Anyway, I think having two device nodes is a perfectly valid solution.
> Particularly for more complex scenarios.

I agree that having two video nodes is a good solution. This kind of
separation would simplify the driver. Detecting what should be done by
checking format is possible, but I think having separate nodes seems better.

Best regards,
--
Kamil Debski
Linux Platform Group