RE: RFC: Problem of using v4l2 spec with codec function

Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> [...]
<snip>

> > If so, then I think creating a so-called 'private' control for your
> > hardware would be the best way to go. As an example of private controls
> > search for the V4L2_CID_MPEG_CX2341X_BASE define in videodev2.h.
>
> I would rely on formats. If the input format is YUV and the output format is
> MPEG, it's pretty obvious that the hardware should be encoding. If the formats
> are the other way around, then the hardware should be decoding.

Right. But..
If VIDIOC_S_CTRL is called before VIDIOC_S_FMT, how to distinguish them ?
In my opinion decoder and encoder can have own control Ids.
For example,
After VIDIOC_S_CTRL related in decoder, if VIDIOC_S_FMT for encoder is called how to return it ?
VIDIOC_S_CTRL has been succeeded because driver cannot know whether decoder or encoder.
And then is it right that VIDIOC_S_FMT for encoder is failed due to VIDIOC_S_CTRL for decoder ?

Can two nodes(encoder, decoder) be the solution ?

BRs,