Re: OMAP 3530 camera ISP forks and new media framework

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010, Bastian Hecht wrote:

> 2010/10/11 Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Hi Bastian,
> >
> > On Monday 11 October 2010 14:59:15 Bastian Hecht wrote:
> >> So... let's see if i got some things right, please let me now if you
> >> disagree:
> >>
> >> - I do want to use the omap34xxcam.c driver as it is for the newest
> >> framework and I get most support for it
> >
> > That's a bad start. With the latest driver, omap34xxcam.c doesn't exist
> > anymore :-)
>
> Nice :S
>
> I think I take the mt9t001 approach (Sorry Guennadi, I think modifying
> your framework is too much for me to start with).

AFAIR, you said, that register sets of mt9t031 and mt9p031 are identical,
so, I think, I will be against mainlining a new driver for the "same"
hardware for the pad-level ops, duplicating an soc-camera driver. Apart
from creating a one-off redundancy, this looks like an extremely negative
precedent to me.

That said, please, double check your estimate as "identical." If there are
differences, say, even in only 10% of registers, it might still be
justified to make a new driver. mt9m001 and mt9t031 are also "very
similar," still, it appeared to me at that time, that a new driver would
be cleaner, than a single driver full of forks or other indirections.

Thanks
Guennadi

> So in this driver I
> tell the framework that I can do i2c probing, some subdev_core_ops and
> some subdev_video_ops. I define these functions that mostly do some
> basic i2c communication to the sensor chip. I guess I can handle that
> as there are so many examples out there.
>
> But where do I stack that on top? On the camera bridge host, but if it
> isn't omap34xxcam, which driver can I use? How are they connected?
>
> Thanks,
>
>  Bastian

---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.