Re: [ANN] Introducing build scripts to test

Hi Laurent, Hans,

On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 05:26:22PM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 04:14:56PM +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> > > I've been using your scripts since after ELC-E and I can tell they're
> > > useful!

> > > Speaking about distros, I was wondering if you still consider a
> > > requirement to build all compiler or we should instead try to use the
> > > distro provided ones when possible to test the distro-shipped version
> > > ?
> >
> > I strongly believe we should build the cross compilers. The reason is that
> > otherwise you get a wide variety of compiler versions, each with typically
> > different compiler warnings. It's a pain for a developer to see different
> > warnings than the person that merges those patches.
> >
> > It's a a regular problem that the daily build sees different warnings than
> > you do locally with the distro's compiler.
> >
> > Doing it this way also makes it easier to upgrade to the latest compiler
> > version, certainly quicker than a distro would do.
> >
> > It's about reproducibility, really.
>
> There's value in testing with different compiler versions though. The
> kernel's documented minimum gcc version is v5.1 at the moment. I
> certainly don't want to build myself with all versions between v5.1 and
> v13.2, but collectively we could cover more ground.
>
> Regardless of this, I already have recent cross compilers (built with
> buildroot) for ARM and ARM64, and I'd rather use those than duplicating
> compilers. Anything that consumes extra disk space is a serious
> hinderance.

I have to say nearly all issues I've come across I have not seen myself in
my own (trivial) tests are related to either different architecture or
different kernel configuration.

There have been a couple of issues that were related to compiling the
kernel with LLVM, too, but they are much more rare. I suppose there may
have been some related to different GCC versions but I don't remember any
over the last ~ 5 years. :-)

So IMO varying configuration and building for more architectures is
beneficial, possibly compilers, too, but for different compiler versions
not so much.

--
Kind regards,

Sakari Ailus