Re: [ANN] Introducing build scripts to test

Hi Hans

On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 03:29:41PM +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have been working on simplifying the media maintenance, and one part of that is
> standardizing on build tools, in particular to make it easier for patch submitters
> to run their patches through the same set of tests that the daily build does.
>
> This helps detect issues before you submit your patches.
>
> I have been working since July on transforming my hackish scripts to something
> that is easier to use and of better quality. While there are still a few rough
> edges, I consider it good enough to have others start to use it.
>
> To get the build scripts run:
>
> git clone git://linuxtv.org/hverkuil/build-scripts.git
>
> All the test builds will happen within this directory. It is completely separate
> from where you do you normal development, instead you point it to where your
> git repository is.
>
> See the README contained in the build-scripts git repo for all the details on
> how to set it up.

I've been using your scripts since after ELC-E and I can tell they're
useful!

> Currently the scripts expect a debian 12-based distro (likely debian 11 will work
> as well). I have no idea if it works well on Red Hat or Suse. If you use one of
> those distros, and you get it to work, then a patch updating the README file with
> the correct list of packages to install would be welcome.

Speaking about distros, I was wondering if you still consider a
requirement to build all compiler or we should instead try to use the
distro provided ones when possible to test the distro-shipped version
?