[ANN] Introducing build scripts to test

Hi all,

We have been working on simplifying the media maintenance, and one part of that is
standardizing on build tools, in particular to make it easier for patch submitters
to run their patches through the same set of tests that the daily build does.

This helps detect issues before you submit your patches.

I have been working since July on transforming my hackish scripts to something
that is easier to use and of better quality. While there are still a few rough
edges, I consider it good enough to have others start to use it.

To get the build scripts run:

git clone git://linuxtv.org/hverkuil/build-scripts.git

All the test builds will happen within this directory. It is completely separate
from where you do you normal development, instead you point it to where your
git repository is.

See the README contained in the build-scripts git repo for all the details on
how to set it up.

Currently the scripts expect a debian 12-based distro (likely debian 11 will work
as well). I have no idea if it works well on Red Hat or Suse. If you use one of
those distros, and you get it to work, then a patch updating the README file with
the correct list of packages to install would be welcome.

Please note that running the regression tests using virtme-ng is currently only
supported on Debian 12, not on e.g. Ubuntu. Someone is looking into that, and
hopefully we can support that in the future. Running regressions tests are
primarily useful when making changes to core frameworks and public APIs, and
it is possible to run them manually (see the README).

Since running this locally can take a fair amount of time, we hope to have
build servers available in the future so this can be offloaded.

To give an idea of the expected build times:

On an AMD Ryzen 9 6900HX (8 cores) a standard build of the staging tree
(build.sh -test all) takes 39 minutes.

On an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X (32 cores) it takes a bit over 13 minutes.

Regards,

	Hans