Re: Future of the SAA7146 drivers

On 01/02/2023 16:20, Soeren Moch wrote:

> On 01.02.23 14:51, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>> Hi Sören,
>>
>> On 01/02/2023 12:35, Soeren Moch wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> I only own full-featured (Nexus) cards, modified to also support a mode
>>> of operation like budget cards. In full-featured cards there is a
>>> possibility to re-read the decoded video output signal back, which could
>>> be similar to how analog cards work. But I never had access to
>>> analog/hybrid saa7146 cards, so I'm not sure I can test this mode. I
>>> also don't know anybody with such card who could help testing.
>>> I personally do not care much about analog card support in the driver,
>>> but will at least check which part of analog functionality is used in
>>> full-featured cards. Maybe the support for analog/hybrid cards and some
>>> test coverage comes for free with full support for full-featured cards.
>> It's the analog video streaming that uses vb2, so being able to test that
>> is critical.
>>
>> So I decided to do this differently:
>>
>> 1) I'll revert the move of saa7146 to staging, it will go back to
>>     mainline. av7110 stays in staging for now (that might change, I
>>     just don't want to make more changes than strictly necessary).
> Hm, you wrote earlier, all this staging is about vb2 conversion.
> There is no videobuf in av7110. Why this part needs to stay in staging?
>
> How can I help here?

Right, there are two different issues here: av7110 in staging (and I wasn't
aware that these boards have no analog support) and the removal of the old videobuf.

I have not really been involved in the move of av7110 to staging, but
given the fact that it is still used, I think it would make sense to just
make the 'problematic' part of the API an av7110 driver-specific API, and
then it can be moved back.

But this is something where Mauro (CC-ed) needs to give his thoughts as well.

In any case, this is something to do after the vb2 conversion.

Regards,

	Hans